Today I woke up with this nervous feeling as if it was me who was going to get married! My stomach is full of butterflies for them both! I would have loved to be able to come to their wedding but they decided to have this just with their families and throw a party later this year... which of course I am not going to miss!!
So, because of this GREAT occasionI I HAD TO knit something for the bride! I must say that the decision of what to make wasn't difficult at all. It had to be something delicate and beautiful. Anything better than lace?
The pattern choice was also very easy... it had to be a Hyrna Herborgar for several reasons: it is my favorite pattern, it is the most beautiful shawl that I know (yes, I know, I am a bit obsessed with it!) and last but not least it is an icelandic design.
So, here it is:
* Pattern: Hyrna Herborgar (from the book Þríhyrnur og langsjöl).
* Yarn: Cascade Heritage Silk (a mix of silk and merino).
* Needles: 4.0mm and a 4.5mm hook to cast off.
* As you many of you know this is not the first Hyrna Herborgar that I knit (if you want to see the other: one and two and three) This is actually the fourth one! So, knitting it was pretty smooth since I already know all the tricks of this pattern... and that helped me a lot because I was knitting against time!
* This was the fist time I was using Cascade Heritage Silk. The yarn is amazing. It is a real pleasure to knit. The only boring thing was that I had to buy a WHOLE new skein just to make the crochet bind off row! And this yarn is not exactly one of the cheapest. Now I have a whole skein that I guess will become something for the baby of a friend that will be born in a few months.
* Blocking this shawl is becoming easier and easier everytime! I was a little worried after blocking it because I found that the yarn had a little bit of "memory" ad it was shrinking a little bit on the borders. I had to use some steam to correct that.
* Finally, I wanted to thank my friend Sif, who gently went out with me in a very cold (but amazingly beautiful) day to have some cool pics of the shawl.
Fortunately the package arrived on time so Laura received her present! This morning, she sent me an SMS telling me that she was on the way to the church and that she was wearing the most beautiful shawl in the world!!
I am so happy she liked it and most importantly that she is wearing it on this so very special day! Even though I am not physically there my thoughts are with them!
All the best wished of happiness and prosperity for the newly married couple! Hurrah! Hurrah! Hurrah!