|I love to see the pattern blossom after blocking. It looks so pretty!!|
To had to put a little bit of thinking on how to block the stole. I usually use the bed which is normally big enough to hold shawls but this time this stole was way to long. I had to add a little piece to the bed. To do so I used a foam matress and my new Ikea bobbin lace pillow. It worked pretty well.
|Blocking: wires and pins make miracles!|
|Grafting is like magic. It is barely possible to say where the grafting is. Isn't it?|
|The liliac leaf pattern. The pattern has so much movement and that is thanks to the garter stitch frame around each leave.|
Blocking has become so much easier since I got the blocking wires. Holy blocking wires. They don't only make the hole process easier but also the result is a lot better. The straight borders become really straight and the scallops look a lot more beautiful!
Notes about the shawl:
* Body pattern: Liliac Leaf Pattern 1 from the book The Haapsalu Shawl.
* Edge pattern: Taken from Madli Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia.
* 3 1/2 balls of Loðband (icelandic lace yarn) Each ball is 50g.
* Needles: 5.0 for casting on and off and 4.0 for knitting.
* Casted on 100 stitches using the knitted on cast on technique (my favourite for shawls).
* Made 34 repeats of the 16 rows leaf pattern slipping the first stitch with the yarn in front of every row.
* Made two edges that I grafted to the each end of the body. When grafting watch the tension, it is ver easy to have an extremely tense graft with will be a problem when it comes to blocking.
*Final measurements: 62 x 230cm
|The hole thing :)|
|It is too bright outside but I guess that it is still possible to see the pattern.|
|Folded, ready to be packed and given :)|
I am very, very, very, very happy with the result. It exceeded all my expectations :)